Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tate takes us to the post-office




It's currently about 9:50 in the morning here in Bardejov. I'm sitting at the kitchen table having just finished my breakfast of eggs and a homemade cinnamon roll! Ed and Wendi are in the next room with their language tutor, Phil is somewhere else in the house playing with Shaylee, and Grant is, of course, sleeping.

Phil was just in here a couple of minutes ago and we decided that if Grant isn't awake by 10:00 we're going to take Shaylee into his room to jump on him. I guess there's the slight chance that Grant might wake up, get online and read this blog, and thus spoil our plans (oh, wait he can't do that because I'm writing this using his computer).

Anyways, getting back to the business at hand, I was about to tell all of you about the happenings of yesterday in Bardejov. Let's jump right in and tackle them in chronological order.

When I woke up around 10:00 yesterday, Phil and Wendi were outside planting flowers. Apparently, Phil had gone to the flower shop earlier with Wendi and had an interesting experience with the man in the shop mistaking him for an English teacher.

I ate too much again for lunch (a common occurrence). When the food's this good it's really hard to not keep eating and eating and eating and eating. I'm going with the strategy that I need to eat more over here because I weigh less in kilograms (the number is smaller!)

When the older kids got home from school, Grant and I FINALLY remembered to give them their fruit snacks from Grandma Kathy that I'd been carrying in my backpack this whole time! They we're a big hit!

Phil and I then went on an expedition down to the post-office with Tate. Using Tate as our mouthpiece, we successfully mailed some post-cards. Our adventures at the post-office included but were not limited to: Phil having his personal space seriously invaded by an old lady, Tate dominating the Slovak language to get our post-cards in the mail, seeing all the sweet pictures and designs for the brand new town post-office currently being built, and hearing all about Tate's victory in a school swimming race on our walk to and from the post-office. (Shout out to Jayce as well, who was also victorious in his race!)

You may remember from my last blog post that Wendi, Phil and I had watched the short inspirational video "The Butterfly Circus" (it's about 20 minutes long). Well, with all the kids home from school, Wendi had me pull it up for them to watch (the kids know of Nick Vujicic who stars in this short film). They must have liked it, because they watched it about 7 times in a row:)

After putting all the kids to bed, Wendi left to pick up Ed at the train station on his return trip from Vienna. Since Grant, Phil and I had the house to our ourselves (I guess all the kids were upstairs, but hey, they were asleep) we decided to peruse Ed and Wendi's DVD collection. We found an interesting title "The Last Sin Eater" and popped it in. It turned out to be a somewhat cheesy and sometimes overdone drama about a group of Welsh immigrants living with some strange customs in the 1850's. However, the overall message and worldview of the movie was extremely positive and did a tremendous job of pointing to Jesus as the only way to truly rid ourselves of the guilt and hopelessness brought on by sin.

Ed and Wendi returned around 11:15 and we were able to catch up a little with Ed before hitting the sack for the night.

Now it's 10:20 in the morning (uh oh, looks like we forgot about Grant. I'll have to check if he's still asleep after I post this). I didn't realize these things took me half-an-hour to write. That's very interesting.

Oh yes, one more order of business to attend to before signing off for the day. I realized yesterday (after seeing it in writing) that I've been misspelling Jaylin's name this whole time. Wendi explained to me that it's spelled like her and Ed's middle names and not like Jalen Rose (for those of you who aren't sports nuts like me and have never heard of Jalen Rose, do a quick google search for "the Fab Five" but don't watch the ESPN special, that was a waste of several hours of my life). For all you grandparents, aunts, uncles, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, friends, relatives (and Jaylin herself) who read this, I apologize for misspelling your granddaughter's/niece's/daughter's/sister's/friend's/relative's name. It (probably) won't happen again.

Until next time, this is Ben signing off from Bardejov.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ben, I love your posts! You are a great writer and it is really fun to hear what you are doing there. I know Wendi is loving having you all. So glad the kids got their fruit snacks! That is funny! At least you didn't find them when you got back to IL. Give them all a hug from me and enjoy your time touring Europe. Erin

    ReplyDelete