Sunday, May 22, 2011

Our first Sunday in Bardejov

When I left you all last night we were winding down for the night and getting ready for some late night ice cream. After homemade hot fudge sundaes complete with peanuts and whipped cream we realized that Phil and Grant had never seen Kun-fu Panda. Of course the only solution to this problem was to watch it, so Ed, Wendi, Grant, Phil and I settled in for a hilarious nightcap of epic proportions. Now I remember why I laughed so hard when I saw that movie in theaters!

We got up this morning and went to church with Ed at 9:00. Since part of the church recently suffered from fire damage, Sunday school was canceled so Wendi stayed home with the kids (it was mainly an adult service with no small children). The church was a beautiful Lutheran church right next to the town square (read one of my first posts where I describe this immaculate feature of Bardejov). When we arrived a little before 9:00 the church was packed so we sat in a bench on the outside of the aisle near the back of the sanctuary.

It was very interesting being in a Lutheran church service in Slovak. While I had absolutely no clue what was being said, I was able to gather context clues about what was going on that made the experience enriching and definitely positive and enjoyable. Another interesting aspect of the church service was the fact that we happened to be there on their conformation Sunday. The young boys and girls (8th grade I think) were ushered in to the church in an elaborate ceremony and took vows and communion in front of the entire church body (I'd say around 500 people).

When we arrived back at Ed and Wendi's house around noon, Wendi had prepared a coffee cake and a delicious lunch of Chicken, rice and cooked carrots! After we ate, the Rumbold kids performed a skit for us in the living room which they had prepared while we were at church. It had a very good moral lesson to it, as we learned never to ride your bike over wet cement (played by Gage) and that our hearts should not be hard to Jesus like the cement was hard after it dried. After this production, we were treated to several other improv skits with Shaylee even making a cameo.

This afternoon we went back to the park with the basketball court and played a few 2-on-2 games (every conceivable combination of Ed, Grant, Phil and I) and then decided to play H-O-R-S-E. Ed won the first two games we played but was one letter from elimination in the third when Jayce asked when we were going home. We decided to go home when Ed lost, because that looked like the inevitable result of that game. However, he ended up coming back to win that one and the next 3 after it (even with us shortening H-O-R-S-E to P-I-G, E-D, and I) before Phil beat him to halt his winning streak at 6!

We returned to the Rumbold home for pizza and some other great leftovers from earlier in the week! This evening has been very relaxing, filled with after-dinner adventures on the trampoline, good conversation around the dining room table, an hour long nap, and a little post-Slovakia trip planning.

We're winding down day #5 here in Bardejov and I've been loving every minute of it. "Everything's better in Slovakia" has become a catch phrase for us over these few days. If any of you are looking for something to do in the near future, you should really come check out this beautiful city!

I didn't take any pictures at the church or the park today, so this will unfortunately be a picture-free blog post. As I've mentioned before, if you want to check out all the pictures I've been taking I've got them all uploaded on my facebook page.

Until next time, this is Ben signing off from Bardejov.

No comments:

Post a Comment