Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The sun's U.V. rays work just as well in Slovakia as they do in the U.S.




When I woke up this morning, Ed and Wendi had already left to drop off Ed at the train station en route to Vienna. Ed will be in Vienna for about a day and a half, picking up the summer interns and dropping them off at training camps. He's due back tomorrow evening.

After a hearty breakfast of ham, egg, and cheese sandwiches on the amazing rolls that we used for hamburger buns last night, Phil, Grant, and I got started on mowing the lawn. It was a very interesting experience as the mower was electric powered and we had to run an extension cord from the garage out into the yard. Phil raked, I mowed, and Grant stood there looking cute holding the extension cord (in all honesty it would have been about a hundred times harder without Grant. He served a valuable purpose and did a great job of keeping the cord out of the way of the mower).

Wendi and Shaylee returned from the train station as we were getting started with the mowing. She was able to snap a few pictures of our motley yard crew at work and provided us with some valuable insider info on where stuff was/how stuff works.

It was a hot day, so I decided to mow shirtless in order to increase my comfort level and maybe soak up a few rays. You've probably already guessed what the end result of this decision was (maybe because you read the title of this post or maybe you're just really smart). Well, I'll just cut the suspense now and tell you........I got burnt. As the title of this post so aptly explains, the sun's U.V. rays work just as well and are just as strong here as they are back home. You'd think I'd learn my lesson about being outside shirtless without sunscreen after 23 years of existence, but I swear I've got burned about every Summer I've been alive. As the Cub fan in me likes to say, "maybe next year".

After we finished mowing the lawn I took one of my, now customary, afternoon naps. When I awoke, the older kids were home from school and were watching a video of "The Lone Ranger". Man, this brought back memories from my childhood! I still remember listening to the cassette tape we used to have of "The Lone Ranger" and the classic "William Tell Overture" theme song. Hiyo Silver!!!!!

Dinner this evening was a tremendous meal of chicken noodle casserole, fresh veggies, and chocolate muffins! Wendi whipped up a rather large batch of muffins, so we have the glorious opportunity to enjoy those for the next several days!

After dinner we all walked down to a park to enjoy the early Summer evening. Wendi, Phil, Grant and I enjoyed conversation around a park table while the kids all played on the slides, swings, and whatever else kids play on at a park (it's been a while for me, I'm getting old).

When we returned from the park, Wendi got the kids ready for bed. In Ed's absence I was given the opportunity to pinch-hit and read the Bible story for the evening. After the kids were all settled in for the night, Wendi, Phil and I watched the inspirational short video, "The Butterfly Circus" (If you've never seen it look it up and watch it right now. It's very well done and moving).

After some good nighttime conversation in the living room, we're all getting ready to hit the sack. Grant's sitting a couple feet to my left reading "Green" by Ted Dekker and Phil just checked in for the night. I'll probably be out as well soon after posting this. It's 12:50 here and my internal clock requires more sleep here than back home.

I was just reminded that about RIGHT NOW marks the one week mark since we arrived at Ed and Wendi's. Tomorrow's promising to be the start of another great week.

Until next time, this is Ben signing off from Bardejov.

No comments:

Post a Comment